Thursday, December 3, 2009

Quilty times

It's lovely to have plenty of time to sew... I usually work horrendous hours as a junior doctor at the local hospital, but I decided to take maternity leave early (REALLY early!) and spend more time at home, relaxing, and connecting with friends, before I have my first baby next April.  I am still working part-time, assisting in surgery, but the rest of the time, when I'm not napping :-), I'm here....



At the moment, I am working on a pinwheel quilt for a friend's belated wedding gift.  I was originally going to make a copy of a quilt that red pepper quilts made, but then I read the rules about copyright on quiltsalot  and decided that I would design my own quilt instead.  I really, really enjoy designing my own quilts anyway!  Usually, I make a mistake when purchasing fabrics, or making measurements, and I have to end up improvising with the quilt design anyway, like I did with Kenzie's quilt and Elliott's quilt (see previous postings).

This is the design for my current project for Farley's wedding gift, all made with Kaffe fabrics!



I got the idea for the sashing from a magazine cover I saw at the library (can't recall the name of the magazine, so I can't credit them, which is poor form, but not against the copyright laws).  The sashing will be 5 inches wide and consists of two thin strips of plain white fabric with alternate coloured and white squares in between the two thin strips of white.

The blocks are just four pinwheels pieced together into a large square, then the inner border will be more sashing and the outer border will be more pinwheels.

I hope it works out!  I am hoping it will measure about 60 inches square.  It will be very interesting to see how big, or small, it actually turns out to be :-)

Here are the first pinwheels I completed today.



And lots of half square triangles to make up the rest of the pinwheels...


Happy quilting everyone!

No comments: