Monday, February 1, 2010

The Story So Far

So, I've got the hexagon quilt pieced.  To a point...


I just spoke to Barb Cowan at The Quilt Connection and enquired about custom longarm quilting of this quilt.  She suggested that binding uneven edges was "very ambitious" and that I should consider attaching a border to the quilt to make it more user friendly.  She also gave me a very fair quote to custom quilt this quilt in a traditional format. 

I was planning on handquilting this quilt.  I have put so much work into handpiecing it, and it is for my unborn daughter and I wanted it to be special, but my life circumstances have changed, and I no longer have the time to handquilt this quilt.  I know Barb will do a fantastic job!  But first, a border.

The Stars and Hexagon project (see most recent entry) has been scrapped.  I just wasn't happy with the combination of fabrics.  It was too busy.  So.... I have pieced the hexagons together and this will become the pram quilt. 


I need to add a border, but I don't know quite how I am going to do that.  Should I add some more diamonds in yellows / pinks, or should I applique what I have on to the back of a border, or should I cut the uneven edges off what I have to square up the quilt and make adding a border a lot easier (no appliquie required).  It's basically the same decision I am facing with the hexagon quilt above.

So now I have these left over...



I think they need a plain background to really make them pop. :-)

And finally, look what arrived from Fabricworm!



I suppose you all recognise this range of fabric by now!  Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt.  It's been VERY popular with other bloggers that I follow.  I only hope I can make something as beautiful with my fat quarters.


4 comments:

Christine said...

Wow look at all that eye candy!!! I can see how binding that quilt would be pretty difficult. I like your idea of the diamonds. I can't wait to see how it comes out and to see what you do with your fat quarters :) Christine

Anonymous said...

Love those new fabrics - can't wait to hear what you chose to do with them. Choosing borders can be difficult...

Melissa said...

The hexagons look AMAZING! Can't wait to see it quilted!

Weaveron Textile said...

Love your new fabrics these will be fun to play with..
click here: https://www.weaveron.com