Monday, February 1, 2010

The Story So Far

So, I've got the hexagon quilt pieced.  To a point...


I just spoke to Barb Cowan at The Quilt Connection and enquired about custom longarm quilting of this quilt.  She suggested that binding uneven edges was "very ambitious" and that I should consider attaching a border to the quilt to make it more user friendly.  She also gave me a very fair quote to custom quilt this quilt in a traditional format. 

I was planning on handquilting this quilt.  I have put so much work into handpiecing it, and it is for my unborn daughter and I wanted it to be special, but my life circumstances have changed, and I no longer have the time to handquilt this quilt.  I know Barb will do a fantastic job!  But first, a border.

The Stars and Hexagon project (see most recent entry) has been scrapped.  I just wasn't happy with the combination of fabrics.  It was too busy.  So.... I have pieced the hexagons together and this will become the pram quilt. 


I need to add a border, but I don't know quite how I am going to do that.  Should I add some more diamonds in yellows / pinks, or should I applique what I have on to the back of a border, or should I cut the uneven edges off what I have to square up the quilt and make adding a border a lot easier (no appliquie required).  It's basically the same decision I am facing with the hexagon quilt above.

So now I have these left over...



I think they need a plain background to really make them pop. :-)

And finally, look what arrived from Fabricworm!



I suppose you all recognise this range of fabric by now!  Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt.  It's been VERY popular with other bloggers that I follow.  I only hope I can make something as beautiful with my fat quarters.


3 comments:

Christine said...

Wow look at all that eye candy!!! I can see how binding that quilt would be pretty difficult. I like your idea of the diamonds. I can't wait to see how it comes out and to see what you do with your fat quarters :) Christine

Kathleen said...

Love those new fabrics - can't wait to hear what you chose to do with them. Choosing borders can be difficult...

Melissa said...

The hexagons look AMAZING! Can't wait to see it quilted!